Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 135 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    A
    Reasoning has very little to do with rote memorization and rapid retrieval. There are lots of mathematical geniuses who were not particularly stellar at timed math facts as children.

The comment by aculady on reasoning having little to do with rapid retrieval reminded me of Art Benjamin. He uses language to remember numbers.

You can see him on YouTube. ("Mathmagician")

Last edited by Ametrine; 06/06/11 07:37 AM.
    B
    B
    I'm not an expert, but have you heard of anarithmetria, it can be common with the gifted and it affects the retrieval and memory of math facts and not mathematical comprehension. If you Google anarithmetria you may find some good info.

barb

G
    G
    Sorry, a little OT, but thank you so much for the Timze Attack recommendation. DD has sworn off TV in an effort to get more time to play it!

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Giftodd
    Sorry, a little OT, but thank you so much for the Timze Attack recommendation. DD has sworn off TV in an effort to get more time to play it!

It is quite awesome hey smile so gad she is enjoying it!

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    M
    M
    We used Timez attack quite a bit this past year. DS was frustrated with it because he felt like he had to answer the drills too quickly. He does have a relative weakness with processing speed, so I guess that makes sense.
    My DD9 came to me in tears tonight because she couldn't get off the current level without being able to answer drills in 2 seconds "and it's a really quick two seconds too mum!". I told her to play something else but she was both devestated and desperate go keep going,, poor thing. She wants to play and to progress but she's just not that quick...

B
    B
    Here is an unoriginal suggestion for learning math facts -- have the child complete an addition or multiplication table. My 5yo thinks it is fun, and he reviews various concepts as he fills in a multiplication table, with a little help from me:

(1) The same numbers appear in the 3's row and the 3's column, because multiplication is communative (sic).
    (2) The numbers in the 3's row equal the sum of the numbers in the 1's row and 2's row.
    (3) You can fill the 3's row to the right by adding 3's, OR you can fill it to the left by subtracting 3's. You get the same answer either way.
    (4) Multiples of 11 (up to 9*11) have repeated digits.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    We used Timez attack quite a bit this past year. DS was frustrated with it because he felt like he had to answer the drills too quickly. He does have a relative weakness with processing speed, so I guess that makes sense.
    My DD9 came to me in tears tonight because she couldn't get off the current level without being able to answer drills in 2 seconds "and it's a really quick two seconds too mum!". I told her to play something else but she was both devestated and desperate go keep going,, poor thing. She wants to play and to progress but she's just not that quick...

When my DS could answer the fact quickly but couldn't type it quickly enough, I just typed the answer in as he called it out. Sure, it meant that I had to stand there the whole time he was playing, but it definitely removed the frustration factor. Sometimes, if I was busy, though, I'd have DS's older brother or sister type the answers in! wink

She thought she could, so she did.
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    hi Barb,

That sounds interesting, but I am not so sure. She actually is much farther along on math facts than other kids her age with very little practice; she just didn't memorize the facts by hearing them once or twice the way she does other things so to me, this is preplexing. I guess I am spoiled in that I don't need to repeat things and it seems she may need practice or repetition in this one area and she resists repetition. I don't even think they will do much with adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing in Kindergarten in the fall so she won't be introduced to it there either. It really isn't a big deal. It is just the first thing that wasn't automatic and effortless end to end. As I said, she knows a ton of math facts quickly, but some of them took practice and nothing else took practice so it seems like a relative weakness.

Hi, TwinkleToes! Our kids are fascinating little creatures, yes?

Just throwing this idea out there, but I found with my kids that they memorized their multiplication and division facts much more readily than their addition and subtration facts. I think this might have been because, with + and -, they could rely on picture memory or finger counting and with X and / this was just much more complicated. So they had to memorize X and / but only needed to memorize + and - for speed's sake.

She thought she could, so she did.
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...