Yes, ours arrived too, also the first two books, addressed to "The Great [me]". laugh So far DS likes the silliness, but has only done the first chapter of the Fractions book, last night before bed. It will hopefully go far to keep him from being bored. I like the way that Life of Fred encourages the child to learn to learn by reading, with minimal involvement from the parent. The parentless self-test at the end of most chapters seems perfect for perfectionists, and the "Bridge" section every so often lets the parent make sure the child is on track.

So now, our home math plan is as follows: Life of Fred, mixed mostly with Singapore Math, with a dash of IXL at odd times when he finds something fun on that site.

For Singapore Math, we bought 3A, 3B, and 4A Standards Edition. He (in my humble opinion) would do fine in fourth grade math right now, but wanted to make sure any holes in his knowledge were well plugged, and we compact as we go. I promised him six Beyblade tops once he gets to the end of 4A, but he is under no external pressure.

We may add something like EPGY at some point and drop the IXL, and we also have Alcumus and some other resources planned for the future. We don't do math more than an hour at a time, a couple of times a week whenever he feels like it, but he plows through the material pretty quickly.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick