Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 298 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    J
    J
    I think those two scores, Raven's and WISC Matrix reasoning, are fairly close. Those are probably in the standard error of measurement. I mean, if the instructions weren't in Spanish!

J
    J
    The neighboring school district to ours has 25% Spanish-speaking children. Many speak no English at all when the enter school. They also have a sizable Pakistani population, whose kids speak Punjabi.
    Their GT director told me they use the Raven's test because it is "culturally fair" for children who may be gifted but don't speak English. I think that's why many districts use it. Not because it's such a great IQ test but because many IQ tests have a huge verbal part, and if English isn't your native language, it might be difficult for you.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    95th percentile seems to be as high as the charts of ravens norms I have found

This chart goes higher, but I don't know if it's "official." It does show the >95th numbers in bold, but there's no key to determine what the significance of that is.

http://www.tedaltenberg.com/cabrillo/cis132/final/scoringmatrix.php

For those who want the test in English, there are some links here: http://www.tedaltenberg.com/cabrillo/cis132/final/ravens.php

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks AlexsMom, those norms seem to be more up to date than the ones used in the spanish version of the test. DD9yrs scores are still well into the 99th range, DD4.5yrs came out as 83rd for a 6.5yr old (still no norm for her!) but that less than 90th for an 8 yr old! DH and drifted down about 2% each.

Interesting!

By age 12, you needed 50 correct to test "gifted", and with only 45 correct, you were at 115. That seems like a lot of jump for just 5 questions, and then only 8 more points for the next 10.

P.S...I can only hope that real IQ tests are more discerning!
    Isn't this (one of) the point of the other discussion about testing of very young children - that often there are a just a few tricky questions at the end that make a big difference to scores?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM