Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 269 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    I afterschoooled last year all year. We did Aleks and Khan Academy, did a lot of reading together of higher level books and messed around on a lot of websites. Anytime we'd go to a museum or any sort of "field trip" like event, I'd look at their website to see if they had a teacher's packet or a recommended activities at the museum. We also go to the library a lot and get science project books, cookbooks, movies and whatever else looks interesting.

When my daughter was little, we worked through the Girl Scout programs. She was (and is) a Girl Scout, but we were always working on badges. You can make them at a higher level than they are - and they get a badge or patch.

We are working on her Gold Award together now and are studying food production (her choice). This type worked well for us. It is not quite a course and is flexible, but it is also not just my ideas.

So many happy memories of our badges.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by jenbrdsly
    We Afterschooled my son all last year when he was in Kindergarten. I really like Right Start for math:

http://teachingmybabytoread.blog.com/2011/06/14/review-right-start-level-c/

This summer he is working on Right Start Level D, and we are doing Guided Reading with a Classical Education reading list I created based on my year in Stanford's SLE program. Here's that:

http://teachingmybabytoread.blog.co...gram-a-reading-list-for-children-part-1/

My son starts first grade in our school district's gifted program this fall, so hopefully Aftesrchooling will become a necessity of the past.

I just wanted to add that we have recently started All About Spelling Level 1, and LOVE it! Maybe now, I can finally learn how to spell. We are going to do one step a week from Level 2 this fall.

Last edited by jenbrdsly; 07/26/11 07:05 PM.
    L
    L
    Wren,
    Are you happy with CTY? I am going to enroll for problem solving and enrichmetn for my DD6. Also has anyone tried thier foriegn lang(spanish) program ? my DD6 will be doing this as supplimental program afterschool.

W
    W
    I am really happy with CTY, though I have not tried others. I like the set up, the recognition so you can use the progress.

DD did grade 2 math until Feb but our schedule was so hectic and she hardly had any time, we opted for Elementary Problem solving for the rest of the school year, postponing grade 3 math until Sept. DD loved the EPS. It was applied math and she enjoyed it a lot more than the regular math that was an overlay on Epgy, I believe. That was just rote problems.

DD does a Mandarin class at Columbia so I am eyeing their foreign language classes but have not started anything yet. Would like to hear from anyone how they like it. DD's homework is online so she is used to working with the computer for Mandarin. When we make our move to toronto in 2 years I expect her to continue the Mandarin and her school Spanish online.

Ren

M
    M
    Originally Posted by jack'smom
    Is mathletics speed-timed?
    My little one loves IXL, although I get bored after awhile since it tends to be repetitious. My older one uses Singapore math books, which have been great.

Sorry for the late reply - I haven't been online with time to spare for ages smile

The learning based sections are not speed-timed at all, neither are the support/learning bits. It's just the live mathletics, and its really a great and fun section of the program.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    L
    L
    Thanks will try out the program

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs