Originally Posted by lynn12345
They already did Iowa Basic Skills achievement testing which classified him as gifted with top 1% scores. However, they say this is because of "skills" I've taught him. They think they have a significant number of similar students. I disagree with this. It's a rural district and the local demographics just don't lead me to believe it's possible.)
They won't get it until it's already been accomplished. Most schools don't know how to read an IQ test - or know what a 'standard deviation' is. A number isn't going to help you. Just remind them that he's happy in the 1st grade room, and sad in the kindy room. It's really that simple.

Have you spend a reasonable amount of time in the classroom? If you have then you can observe if there are kids who are at his 'ready-to-learn' level or not.
I'd put in writing that you request he be placed in first grade full time for the rest of the year. Tell the principle that you expect to hear that this can be accomplished by May 1, 2011.
Let them tell you what needs to happen to 'allow' this. Offer to sign a paper saying that you are the parent and you will not hold them accountable for social/emotional problems due to the skip.

Start observing the 2nd grade teachers and try to get the school to allow you to give input into which 2nd grade teacher he should get next year - you want someone who is currently differentiating for her kids, and enough self confidence to laugh at herself.

How is the 'hothousing choosing when and how much emotion to show' going?

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com