Originally Posted by Artana
He gets gifted for 45 minutes in the morning and afternoon on alternate days, part of it for math and part for reading. In general, he seems ok, but he's definitely not challenged. He's off-task a lot, has a lot of organizational issues, and tends to complain a bit. At the same time: I asked him what math he was doing and he said fifth grade; I asked him how it was and he said easy; I offered to talk to his teacher about it and he said no, don't because I like it easy.

...Part of me thinks:

It has been so hard. So many meetings, so much emotional trauma, and so much lost time off for meetings and appointments. Can't I just leave well enough alone until there is really an issue to deal with?
Here's my take, Artana.
You wouldn't be here asking if your were totally overwhelmed and just couldn't take another meeting. I think you are posting because you want to hear me say:

It's great that he has gifted classes frequently. It is your job as Parent to give the feedback that the level is too low in the Gifted Class. You don't have to ask for Algebra or something crushingly difficult, but do ask for a small 'uptick' in the educational challenge level.

The last thing you want is to send the message to either son that they are weak and vulnerable and need anyone's pity. You are very proud of what they have accomplished, and if you want them to be proud of themselves, then they need to be doing work that they consider challenging. Even if it's just a tiny bit challenging.

Yes, it's the job of the child to say: I like easy. But it's the job of the Parent to say: "I have faith in you even when you don't have faith in you. I see your ability. You can do this."

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com