Originally Posted by MegMeg
The more I think about it, the more I think we parents need to stop trying to engage these people in discussion about why this is wrong, illogical, contrary to the known facts, cruel, etc. That just gives them the opportunity to obfuscate till we're exhausted.

I think we should stop the discussion cold with "That's not your job." My kid needs to learn a work ethic? Not your job. My kid needs to learn to deal with boredom? Not your job. Your job is to teach my child academics, full stop. What are you doing to teach her academics?

I like this. I also would add that "learning to deal with boredom" is best applied to tasks with a beneficial result, such as cleaning one's room or sweeping the kitchen floor. What is the benefit of doing academic work that isn't even remotely challenging? I suspect that forcing a child to do mindless work is not good for brain development.

And of course, what we're really talking about in a situation like this may be rooted in, "I don't want to do extra work."

This whole child stuff is bogosity. IMHO, it's just another way for edumacators to focus on fluff instead of substance.