Hi! My 2.75 year old is very similar, and I agree...it's exhausting! He's examining my teeth (and the computer, my feet, etc) with a magnifying lens while I try to type, and he just doesn't stop! Plus he talks talks talks all.day.long.

Mine usually doesn't want to play alone and is extremely social, so between his needs and homeschooling our 6 year old, we're on the road constantly. Both boys love friends and outside activities, so we do a lot of "classes" and field trips. DS2 is currently in a large co-op once a week, where he's been invited into the 4s classes (learning spanish for one hour, a fun "fruits of the holy spirit" class for the second), and we do a 4 year old music class, playgroup, etc. We've looked into Montessori and Spanish Immersion, but our schedule is pretty booked right now.

I've also started working with other friends w/ bright 3-4 year olds to start our own preschool co-op next year. I have read a lot of research that kids like ours are generally happier taking general preschool themes and exploring them more deeply/thoroughly than missing out and jumping over this. So, instead of more phonics, etc (mine is early reading too and doing K math), our plan is to: 1) spend a lot of time on science and art exploration activities; 2) fully explore a theme each month (ie space) and conclude with a hands-on field trip; and
continue music (we also dabble in Mom-led piano lessons). At home, I also bring out the math/books/handwriting when DS6 is studying, usually in the form of lapbooks that DS2 can make. He LOVES readingegss.com, so that's the one site I let him play on.

I'm a big believer in natural exploration instead of workbooks or "hothousing" w/ flashcards etc., and I'd much rather have my children explore side-interests than work solely on core curriculum. DS6 continues to rapidly accelerate and is now at least a 4th grade curriculum, and it becomes a big challenge socially when they start getting further and further ahead. DS participates in many of the things his brother does, but in a very informal whenever-he-wants kind of way.

As far as the energy, I've also found that it helps to let him run. I try to send him outside whenever we can, and he has the trampoline, horse, etc that he's always on in the house. Ours is athletic, too, so as the weather warms up and he turns 3, he's going to love the peewee soccer, t-ball, etc!

I'm so glad to find others the same age as my little one! We've tended to focus on the academic needs of my older, but now that DS2 seems to be following in his footsteps, it's time to start including him in our connections and research!

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2