Originally Posted by bh14
I also read that some schools make it HARDER to get in if you've taken the classes while in H.S. even when their average admission GPA can be as low as a 2.99 I don't want to close any doors by taking a certain option.

As long as the student takes the courses before graduating from high school no doors are closed. It isn't true that it will lower chances of admission.

Originally Posted by bh14
I also read that some AP classes don't count at certain schools either.

Right, most highly selective colleges won't give credits for APs. It is very easy to check online what credits a school will give. http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/apcreditpolicy/index.jsp

Also, I would keep in mind that even if a student isn't getting credits for the APs demonstrating the student took a challenging courseload (through APs, IB, or college courses, etc.) is a necessary prerequisite for admissions to selective colleges. It doesn't have to be APs, but it needs to be something and at most schools APs are going to be the challenging courses available at least for now. And, it is worth noting that really it is just a very small fraction of students who go to the most highly selective colleges. MOST students go to colleges where they will be able to get college credits for APs.