I read it and it was a good response. She described well where she agreed and disagreed.

Unfortunately, the latter part described a teacher we wish we had for our children in all subjects but doesn't come around very often.

We first had a piano teacher for DD, when 4, that pushed her with pieces and her technique was terrible. And when we switched and she had to spend 3 months changing her technique -- she was horrible to deal with during piano because she wanted to play those flashy pieces, fast. Then last summer we spent the summer learning to read music, in turn she had only scales and simple pieces to practice -- my choice and that was torture -- for both of us. But now, coming out the other side she is reading music on her own initiative, when she has to figure out where she is in a new piece.

Though I can totally relate about her not playing the flashy pieces for a while. I caught myself thinking that I want her to play fast and complicated (to show her off?). Luckily I caught myself, but showing off your kid is an easy trap/addiction. And when we are at gymnastics and she cannot do something the top kids in the class can do (and I sit with those mothers) I feel myself having a wee bit of discomfort -- I catch myself and allow it, since I have so many moments where she does excel and had proud moments after a ballet recital where other parents and just observers approach me about her. But those moments at gymnastics where she is clearly not the best, it is hard on some level internally.

I can relate to parents wanting them to be the best, to achieve. I don't want to abuse my kid and certainly let her get water or go to the bathroom, even in mid piano practice. I have a clock, I know how long we are at it. But I do set goals for her and give her incentives -- fancy dresses are in vogue now for rewards. Because they are extracurricular goals. She doesn't get dresses for getting her homework done, but for working at a piece for a piano concert, yes.

Ren