I printed a list of the dolch sight words, figured it was as good a place to start as any. �I'm about to start teaching the boy some spelling since his lettering is nice and he can copy a list of six words without losing interest, consistently. �

I have that enchanted learning subscription and I printed up a packet for each group of 10 dolch words, including a word list they want copied in abc order ( just going to have him copy them ), a page of " fill in the blank" sentences with a word bank (I thought that was pretty great for a new writer who would get tired writing definitions or whole sentences), and a search a word. �I gave him a halloween word search and he found four easy words that I showed him from the list after I told him how to do it. �(I wanted to brag about that, but I've posted too many brags lately to add one right now). �The other thing they had which I didn't print was the word shape boxes which he loves on starfall but I thought that might not be the same on paper. �Shoot, �I should print them. �If you're going to do it do it right.

Aww, I erased the link. �I read this website a little while ago that suggested the best practice for teaching spelling was to not teach the kids the right way to spell, but to have them guess. �Even if it's wildly inaccurate, the authors said, it will make them better spellers in the long run. �Of course with the stage my guy's at he can't spell anything. �I'm going to have to teach him how to spell something or how's he ever going to guess? �I remember that website said to have the kid write their 3 best guesses when they ask you how to spell a word, then they should chose the one that they think looks the best.

Since we're just starting the spelling I haven't seen it expand his vocabulary but I can't see how it wouldn't.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar