Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
However, the last condition (having to turn up another diagnosis) seems very odd to me and I question if that is correct. Wouldn't that be like telling someone if were tested for anemia but turned out to be just fine you'd owe the insurance the money back for the blood test.
I kind of got the impression from our insurance that they weren't going to be paying and were trying to find a way to make sure that they didn't have to pay. I didn't pursue it b/c it just seemed like it wasn't something that we were going to get our $ back on regardless of the dx. Also, there seemed to be a bit of difficulity with the psych in terms of getting her to play by their rules in terms of making the paperwork look like something the insurance would process.

What the insurance co. said was that they needed an ICD-9 code to even process it as a claim and the psych said that she couldn't put a diagnostic code on the bill when she didn't dx her with anything. The insurance said that, in the absence of a diagnosis, there would be nothing to process -- like a dr's office sending them a bill for $1400 with no code, just what tests they ran.

In any case (and re the original question), as I mentioned, we paid $1400.