Originally Posted by AlexsMom
But if you have a kid who doesn't test well for any reason, or who barely misses the cutoff, there's no provision for a cooperative local district to allow acceleration based on teacher recommendation, for instance.

Ah, I stand corrected! We got the results of the remaining test back today: 94 for Social Studies, and an 86 in Science. The district person responsible for the program was the one who proctored the test, and she said that DD clearly knew the science material - but she second-guessed herself, and went back and changed right answers to wrong ones. But that, based on her observations, she was recommending the full skip regardless of the shortfall on one section.

An hour or so later, I got a call from the counselor at our school, saying that she and the principal had both approved the skip, and that DD will be enrolled as a 3rd grader for the coming year.

Also, DD says her objection to skipping is "I don't want to be in a class where I don't know anyone," and that spending the full two hours at Meet Your Teacher night getting to know the kids in her class would be a satisfactory way of making sure she wasn't in a class where she didn't know anyone.