June,

Interesting question, indeed. Some vague ideas:

-- I think reading and analyzing fiction could help. You can help kids notice the narrative; help them notice how clear narrative with a combination of short and long sentences, etc. is more appealing, inviting, etc.

-- One thing that really helped me write clearly was that I did a ton of research on functional literacy, and what a crappy job we can do about communicating critical information (this was specifically in the health education realm, but it is widely applicable). We would do interviews and focus groups with patients and doctors about what the patients needed and wanted to know; we'd note how the patients talked about stuff; and we'd rewrite health information to make it clearer (and, when appropriate, simpler). I think you could apply this to K8. Have them rewrite the Pledge of Alligiance or Declaration of Independence or schoo attendance policy, etc., etc. Have them think about how they would want stuff communicated to them -- or, perhaps in terms of gifted kids, how they would communicate to someone younger than them. If they get some part wrong, have them rewrite and rewrite and rewrite.

--