Originally Posted by onthegomom
My son's new phase seems to be rubber bands. He is doing everything with them. Drawing on them, making them into things, shooting them, ect. Well it has been driving me a little crazy. While my DS and I were visiting a gifted school I noticed 4 boys with rubberbands streching them different ways. Anybody else playing with rubberbands? How long will this last?

This could just be a part of a generalized condition called being a boy.

Story alert... when I was in 8th grade, someone discovered "flickies." A flickie is a fast-flying object made from a square plastic tab from a loaf of bread.

See here for a picture.

To make a flickie, you break off part of the tab and wedge what's left onto your middle finger. Then you put your thumb on that finger and use a flicking motion to shoot the flickie away at high speed.

Flickies took the male population of my school by storm. The high schoolers were still shooting them around the auditorium three years later.

Us girls played with them too, but none of us ever aimed for someone's face like the boys did.

I bet my classmates still make flickies occasionally. I know I do (but I never aim for anyone's face).

So, in answer to your question...I'm not sure this "phase" will ever end. Oh, and my boys (8 and 10) LOVE rubber bands.

smile

Val