Those scores seem odd and I think for example if you remove the higher similarities score, and replace it with the avg of the other scores, what IQ does that give you? Maybe something closer to 90? Based on your description of your son, I am not buying this result as an accurate measure of his potential. The higher similarities score hints at higher potential, but I don't buy any of the rest. I know the WISC was expensive, but I have a suggestion: why not get your son tested on (JHU CTY) SCAT test and see how he does? I think the whole thing is less than $100 (entering the talent search at JHU CTY and then signing up for the SCAT at prometric), and based on your description of your son I think it will be interesting to have that SCAT score to compare with the WISC (even if only to show concretely the disparity between purported "potential" according to this WISC and performance on another test which in some way also measures academic ability). I posted on a separate thread about several family members of mine with unreliable (changing) test results. It happens. I'm sure the WISC test result reflects something, but probably not your child's true potential in this case. I think some kids get penalized for not answering the way the tester wants them to. One kid I know got distracted looking at how answers were being logged on an answer sheet. If the test questions don't happen to be the most interesting thing (at that moment) not all kids will put 100 percent of their effort and attention to the task of delivering exactly what the tester wants. Who knows, maybe some of these kids are the smarter ones?