Hi,

I'm new to this forum but have found many of the post informative and inspirational. I've taught in public and private schools and have recently started an online learning program, which was initially a continuation of my hybrid "brick and mortar"/virtual tutoring program.

I'm interested in hearing feedback on the ideal online learning program. So far, here's what I've incorporated into my courses:

1. A teacher leads/facilitates each course and meets with students twice weekly for chat sessions/workshops. Teachers are available via telephone and email.

2. Students receive an initial assessment and are allowed to progress/accelerate at an individual pace. Mastery is set at 90%. Students also take frequent quizzes as well as a final exam.

3. Parents receive monthly progress reports and are immediately notified if the student falls behind (3 days of no activity in the course room).

4. Individual tutoring is available through Smarthinking.com

5. Courses offer a variety of multimedia resources and interactive games.

6. Open/rolling enrollment.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, advice, etc. regarding what makes an ideal online learning environment for gifted students.

Thanks!

Daa'iyah Na'im
Director/Head of School
The AGVI Academy for Gifted Youth
http://AGVIgifted.org