WILDLY RAMLING AND OFF SUBJECT RANTING ALERT:

Agreed CFK, witnessing what happens during the school day has helped my crystallize the problems in order to communicate better to the school. On the other hand I was able to witness some things that were working very well and probably stopped me from pulling them out and homeschooling immediately.
I did pull them out of chess club after school. As much as they love playing chess at home, they hated chess club. DD7 kept getting frustrated that kids would say she couldn't move certain ways because they hadn't learned it yet. Even one of the teachers admitted to her it was a legal move, but not to do it because the others hadn't learned it. I draw the line there. DD5 was curled up in a ball and hid under the table. It was too LOUD!!!!!!!!!
So, now we play chess at home. I have a theory, I call it the b**l s**t vaccination theory. Meaning, I'd like my kids to put up with a little so they know how to deal with it, just not so much that it kills them. KWIM?
Even with my horrible school experience, I learned how to be resourceful, which has served me well as an adult. Particularly when advocated at school for DD's.
It is a balancing act and I'm always measuring and adjusting.
I guess what I'm saying is if you look where the land on that bell curve, it looks like it could be a lonely place sometimes.
I'm hoping the girls can grow up and operate effectively in many different environments, with many types of people.
I do, however, agree that it's great to match the child's temperment to the environment if possible. They are kids and should be happy. smile

Incog