Originally Posted by melmichigan
We have no honors track in science at our high school.
Ouch! What about AP?

Here are the math statements I found in the course descriptions for my son�s school. No mention of math skill level is mentioned for the Biology courses, but Bio is first offered (usually in 11th grade) after freshman physics and 10th grade chemistry, so a minimum of concurrent regular Alg 2 (after Alg1 and Geometry) is implied. Other science courses do not mention math either.

PHYSICS (all 9th grade students) This course involves a heavy dependence on algebra skills, use of calculators and graphing work.

HONORS PHYSICS (11th grade) Students should be prepared to spend a considerable amount of time in advanced problem solving on a regular basis. Use of computer data collection is prevalent.

AP PHYSICS (12th grade) Prerequisites: AP Calculus

CHEMISTRY (10th grade) Many units of study involve calculations. Therefore, a solid math background is helpful.

HONORS CHEMISTRY (10th grade) A superior math background is a requirement for honors chemistry.

AP CHEMISTRY (11th or 12th grade) The course is a rigorous math-based course, with a strong laboratory component.

My 8th grade son was allowed to accelerate in science (which is his greatest passion) beginning this year due to his prior math acceleration. He is already excited about taking honors chemistry next year, which he (and we) have heard it is an extremely intense course taught by a retired dentist/chem. PhD.