My kids must be weird. Today I mentioned to a fellow homeschooling parent that my kids are planning to take the upcoming National Mythology exam (for middle school) and the Medusa exam (high school). I know that her child is gifted and enjoys mythology, so I thought she'd be really excited about finding this opportunity. She's a really nice person, and after her first reaction of, "What, take a test for fun?" she apologized and said that she'd mention it to her child.

I have to admit, I was a little crushed. My kids are SO excited about mythology, and they relish the chance to show what they know on a test. They were taking practice Medusa exams (from past years) for fun, and comparing scores and talking all about the questions. It was a very dynamic experience. Sometimes I get reminded that my kids may be in the minority when it comes to enjoying tests, or doing other things, and I feel a sort of desolation wash over me.

For those who have children who like to take tests for fun, these myth exams are a great way to go. They are available to homeschoolers and not very costly.