My dd just turned 5 a month ago, and I see some similar behavior with her. She has recently created her own language which is part baby talk and part using the word "ma" over and over again. As in, "I-ma .. go to ma park ... ma hun-gee!" It is so tedious to listen to her talk. This is a child with an enormous vocabulary. In a quieter moment, I asked her why she talked that way and she said the "ma" meant me (Mom) and that she was telling me she loves me. She is a sensitive kid - and I think this "ma-talk" comes out more when she is anxious or nervous about something. Like she needs reassurance. So right now, we're working on keeping the "ma" talk at home and speaking correctly other places so other people can understand what she's saying crazy.

Is it possible your son feels anxious about something? Perhaps the start of school?

As for the screaming, your story reminded me of something a friend with a HG child told me just last week. She said her daughter became quite angry every time mom asked if she needed to go to the bathroom. Finally, mom asked her (again, at a later, quiet moment) why the girl got so upset every time she was asked to use the bathroom. The daughter said, "I don't like hearing the toilet flush. It's too loud." Mom was really surprised - not expecting that reason. So she asked the girl what they could do about it. The daughter said, "I'll go to the bathroom and you can come in later and flush after I'm gone." Mom replied, "And you won't throw a fit when I ask you to go, then?" And daughter said she wouldn't - and so far it's working!

I'm not saying your ds has the same issue with the sound of the toilet. But I am suggesting, if you ask him, it may be something different than you think.