Originally Posted by CFK
As strange as it sounds a child should be working two grade levels ahead in order to support a one grade skip. You want your child to still end up at the top of the class they skip into, albeit with a smaller gap between him/her and the other classmates. Because of this, most whole gradeskips end up being stop gap measures which require further tinkering. A child should be able to perform well at the grade level above the one that he/she is skipping into, or other options such as subject acceleration should be pursued. A child shouldn't be put in a situation where they are struggling academically as well as socially.

Just wondering: why? I'm not sure I fully see the reasoning here.

It seems to me that if a child understands, say, grade 1 material in kindergarten, s/he should be able to skip to grade 2. Given that the child would have to be reasonably bright to do this, the grade 2 curriculum shouldn't present a huge challenge. From what I've read, even if second grade is challenging initially, many, many gifted kids will catch up by quickly and be ahead again soon.

Although I see the point about not wanting a child to struggle academically and socially, I'm not sure I agree with ensuring that the child remains at the top of the class? Why is this necessary? To me it seems beneficial to have to learn to work a bit at understanding something. I see and meet too many gifted kids and adults who never learned how to work through a challenge, and I'm convinced that the problem starts in primary school.

My DS skipped 3rd grade this past year and had an +3-by-age acceleration in maths. School was still too easy. The major benefit was that it was merely too easy, rather than mind-numbingly dull. And I don't think my kids have IQs near a lot of the kids I read about on this list.

I guess all this is a roundabout way of saying that gradeskips should be more widely available.

Originally Posted by CFK
And finally, most of us are stumbling through this trying to do the best we can.

That I agree with.

Val