Originally Posted by Grinity
Originally Posted by shellymos
p.s. and we are working on humility, but they don't have workbooks for that. : )
LOL - but I hope you aren't working on 'false humility' - perhaps this is more a sign of needing to work on 'estimating' than a humility problem.

I am not a fan of 'false humility'...it is quite annoying to me. Not sure I know exactly what you mean about estimating though. For DS it isn't a true humility problem, he is just a kid with a healthy self esteem at this point. It's difficult, because I want him to be proud of who he is and his accomplishments (and don't want him to hide or be ashamed of his abilities) but I don't want him to think he is the best thing in the world and better than others. There is a difficult balance between a healthy self esteem and arrogance...and finding that balance with a 4yo isn't going to happen just yet, but we have many more years to figure it out.

A while back he was doing math with someone and he was telling them how great he was with math. They jokingly said "that's great, and how are you with humility?" So later he wanted to ask me about that and what it was. When we talked about he didn't seem to get why he couldn't say "I am great at Math" because he is. DH said to him "well you could say I really like Math" but DS was like "but I am really good at it...why can't I say that?" He has a point. Just because he is great at it, doesn't mean he is implying that others aren't.