Hello Patricia! I wanted to comment on the DAS-II.

My son is 2E, with super-high-functioning ASD, and has had the DAS-II with similarly wacky results, especially as compared to the WISC-IV, as well as achievement tests. My son's achievement and WISC-IV scores, repeatedly, year after year, and with different examiners, have landed him above the 99.9% mark in total as well as certain broad or index categories. Consistently. The DAS-II combined score puts him at the 99% overall, 134 I think, which is a respectable score, but nowhere near his normal benchmark.

I did a little research on the DAS-II, and I found an FAQ page:

http://pearsonassess.com/HAIWEB/Cultures/en-us/Productdetail.htm?Pid=015-8338-820&Mode=resource

Though many online sources list the DAS-II as an "IQ" test, the creators of the DAS-II disagree. In fact, they specifically note it is not an "IQ" test.

Also of interest is the use of the DAS-II for diagnostic purposes, which I believe is much closer to the author's intent: "... the DAS�II facilitates the assessment of children of very low ability" and "... the DAS�II provides information on cognitive and adaptive functioning, both of which are required for the proper diagnosis of intellectual disability."

I think the best use of the DAS-II is as stated above, to provide information that might contribute to diagnostics.

I've heard and read of so many stories like yours (and mine), in which the scores gleaned from the DAS-II don't square with those of other established tests, particularly in the gifted population. And what was the norming sample? How large? And how many of those were from the established gifted population? How many from the established exceptionally gifted population?

All the scoring gurus might also note the interpretive elements involved. See "Why should a child have different ability scores from two different item sets?" in the FAQ.

And for you, Patricia, be sure to notice the information on administration of the DAS-II to hearing impaired children: "Is the DAS-II appropriate for children who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing?" It seems some subtests are appropriate for hearing impaired, and some are not....

Hope this helps. And no, I don't believe for a minute your DS's IQ has dropped 27 points!!! Good grief. My biggest vent concerning testing is how many folks are supposedly "qualified" to administer tests, but how few are truly qualified to interpret the scores.

Best wishes to you and your son!