Here is how NCLB has failed my son. When he was 2 we started looking for a house to buy. We looked at all the school districts in our area that had houses that we could afford. There was only one district in our area that had a comprehensive gifted program. We looked for houses in that district and found one. Then he started school, and because the district has a lot of children that are failing behind, they had to cut all the extras to get the worst schools up to par.

The first things on the chopping block... art, music, PE, and the gifted and talented program.

I totally agree that the school that are failing need to be held accountable, but at this point once kids hit third grade there classes become teaching for "the test". There are pumped full of sound bites and work sheet. There are some good teachers still, that actually teach, but the drive for the school to do well on the almighty test is what drives the schools. And good programs that help kids have different avenues of learning are the victim.

My sons principal wanted him to be diagnosed with something so he would be special ed and would therefore bring the school extra money, and then they would be able to afford the extra programs.... our story is not unique.