Originally Posted by playandlearn
Would the school think that I'm challenging the notion that the school and its teachers are highly qualified and their curriculum sufficient? (I don't know the principal well, we just moved to this area a year ago, but last year's teacher gave me the impression of being quite pompous and would not take anything well that remotely resembles criticism.

I think it's appropriate to be concerned about not offending people and stepping on toes. The world would be a better place if people considered others' reactions before acting. However, you have no control over how people will react to your advocating. As long as you're polite and considerate and treat people with respect (certainly sounds like you do), are you comfortable with other people feeling like you're critical of them? I've found that with my large district, it is likely that I will offend someone when advocating for my son -- there are just too many parents and staff members that are unfamiliar with my situation who judge my "squeaky wheel" behavior in a negative light. With advocacy, I feel I have to be comfortable with the possibility that people will want to run the other way when I walk through the school doors eek even though I try my darndest not to be condescending or disrespectful.