Originally Posted by Grinity
Yup - my son learned to Identify the letter sounds from a LeapFrog toy- it was a yellow school bus, and he'd sit in the carseat, pressing the buttons, and the toy would say 'The T says "Tu" over and over and over again.

LOL! DS4 got a leapfrog fridge letter game when he was 1, and the song still sometimes gets stuck in my head! "A says ay and A says ah, every letter makes a sound and A says ay....and ah!" sung to the farmer in the dell. Later someone gave him the word whammer from leapfrog, for spelling 3 letter words, and it includes the sounds of letters too. Since it's only 3 letter words, it's pretty limiting. Can't help you with Dutch, though, sorry!

My DS has absolutely no interest in learning to spell. He doesn't want to write. He will draw some, and writes his name in preschool and names on birthday cards as long as it's "MOM" or "DAD" but that's it for now.

We've been reading the Ramona books (beverly cleary), and I see that Ramona, a gifted girl, has always had trouble spelling. She's much harder on herself than others are. It might be nice for some kids with spelling troubles to read these books, with these subtle bits about problems with spelling sprinkled in them. It's definitely not the focus of the book, but it's a recurring theme. (i confess, i loved ramona as a kid and still do.)