Nonverbal reasoning is assessed by the WISC-V FRI in the forms of matrix reasoning (untimed fluid reasoning) and figure weights (fluid reasoning with a short-term memory and quantitative reasoning threshold).

I'm wondering if older WISC-V examinees (or just kids who know algebra) use equations to solve figure weights problems. I for one have used verbal mediation on visuospatial tasks since I was 6/7 and modified my strategies throughout the years.

I'm wondering if some very verbally gifted kids tend to show sometimes even AWMI/WISC-IV WMI performance higher than even fluid reasoning tasks of the PRI (including the verbally loaded picture concepts) when they are young (like ages 6/7) because they don't understand time limits very well or don't use verbal mediation yet. Their FRIs might rise and WMIs fall as the latter becomes more about memory than understanding relatively complex (for the 6/7 y olds) verbal procedures and verbal mediation is used more on the former. Visuospatial skills tend to stay the same. This is all anecdotal, though.

Also, primarily verbally gifted kids with also high FRIs tend to score higher on arithmetic than figure weights, possibly because the former uses an auditory stimulus.

Last edited by 13umm; 07/04/23 05:19 PM.