Do what works for your son now would be my advice.

My ds was 2 yrs accelerated in math and LA starting 1st (in 3rd he was in 5th) but the next year in 4th was the worst. The school was out of curriculum in 4th but they had to try to accommodate (ILP). They fell through on all the options they agreed to at the start of the year. In 4th we after schooled with AoPS pre algebra and had a tudor once or twice a week. Sometimes the tudor ( a senior at the local high school) and my son would rush through the weeks work and sneak in a game of checkers or chess. It was an hour session but it very often went on for 2 hours. It was absolutely the best thing we could have done. We also started to take him to math competitions around the area at schools who had math programs just to see how it went.

We ended up not trusting what the school was promising. We had meeting after meeting. There was a difference in opinion depending who was at the meeting. High school and middle school principals were not so thrilled we were coming there way (just a gut feeling from their comments) so we bailed and went to a private middle school that started in 5th.

Last edited by mecreature; 02/12/18 11:20 AM.