Welcome to the club in terms of always wondering whether or are doing enough to support your gifted child.

I like to think that every reasonably sentient parent feels the same way at times.

I am the father of a DYS girl aged 13 and I have felt the same intermittent and paralyzingly panic/second guessing yourself. It never goes away but I can assure you that the frequency of the 'attacks' does lessen over time.

There is no great hurry for DYS right now as that window will still be open once you get your green card.

So life until DYS - what to do, some suggestions:

+ check local universities to see if they have any G&T programming at weekends/summers - review entry criteria and still test if needed

+.check for gifted support groups in your area (we do not have any but used the weekend G&T program at Montclair State to help our kid find peers with similar interest she)

+ Singapore Maths books are relatively cheap and very good

+ Look into AoPS - great Mayhs curriculum, they have have Beast Academy for younger students now (working through this will prepare him for their PreAlgebra class)

+ Look into Duke TIPS//CTY online and summer classes

+ Post questions and updates to this forum it is a useful resource which greatly steepened my learning curve and provided support through rocky patches. It is also a great place to celebrate you kid's achievements without alienating the members of the general population by appearing boastful.

Good luck!

Last edited by madeinuk; 01/26/18 06:56 AM.

Become what you are