When I was growing up in the U.K. back in the Seventies/Eighties, the media tended to report events and background information only, leaving it to the listener to draw their own conclusions.

The BBC news (radio and TV) domestic and international was playing constantly and it gave me great general knowledge and an understanding of current affairs.

Nowadays the media is horrifically opiniated and biased tending towards sensationalism. I have reservations about exposing my own child to such pap TBH.

NPR tends to be better than most but the reporting of events leading up to and immediately after the recent election really showed how shallow the veneer of their 'impartiality' is.

Having said all that, outside of the oblivious politicization NPR carries some really neat stories so I do listen to it with my DD in the car, especially. But I am also quick to point out the hypocrisy of some of the more egregious examples of liberal bias in reporting. Those neat and eclectic stories provide an invaluable window that opens to the wider world.

My job is ensuring that my DD leaves our home as a fully functioning and contributing independent adult one day and I know that her having high resolution and appropriately calibrated BS filters will be an essential part of that.

Last edited by madeinuk; 11/13/16 07:09 AM.

Become what you are