Perhaps you may want to reframe the opportunity so that failure won't be a possible outcome? It really is too much stress if your DD has to worry about failure. I would also not turn preparation into an arduous time consuming experience, just enough exposure so that she will be comfortable on test day. If you are aiming mainly for math, know that the curve is really generous (at least from around 650 to 790) compared to the old SAT. This means that she can miss or skip quite a few more math questions and still meet the SET minimum (whether it's 700 or 730 or some other similar number). Nevertheless, I recommend doing a quick review of the advanced topics chapter (DS took maybe a half hour) to eliminate the questions she can't answer. You are right that the test isn't "hard" but it is very much about efficient multi-step problem solving under time constraints. For instance, DS would likely even have been able to figure out the few topics/terminology that he hasn't seen before if he had time to reason it out. There is no time during the test to mentally explore and learn. By having DS look over the advanced topics, he was able to answer every question. On the other hand, if you are only looking for a SET level score, you can achieve that without the advanced topics. DD was not aiming for SET but she was surprisingly not that far off with just half of Algebra I under her belt. I think she likely would have hit around 700 after completing Algebra I. That seem to be the math needed to hit 700 for DS a couple of years back; I heard that was also the case for a number of other kids, at least on the old SAT. With Geometry and Algebra II, all the problems should be within reach.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 09/07/16 04:36 PM.