Originally Posted by VR00
bluemagic, is it not a requirement that they have to take 4 years of math in high school. If your DS does not take BC what does he take?
You only need two years of math and at least Algebra I (or now CC Integrated I) to graduate from High School. There is a two year Algebra (not Integrated I) class offered for the most struggling students. For the programs DS wants to take in college, 4 years of math is highly recommended.

The top math kids take AB or BC Calculus Junior year. Then AP Stats or AP Computer Science senior year. DS is taking AP Computer Science and he will take AP Physics I.

All these class are really easier math than Calc. AP Stats is an easier class, AP Comp Science is not math IMO but most H.S. & colleges consider it that way, and our school doesn't even offer Physics C (with Calculus). It's honestly a problem because these kids get to college and have had a year without Calculus and need a refresher. But DS is too busy with other things in his life & adding college applications to the mix to add taking a community college math class. And it won't really make or break anything in the long run.