Thanks for the Epsilon camp recommendation! I think it's a bit too advanced for my son, though, who doesn't test quite that high. smile

But maybe there is something similar but not as advanced? We live near many universities, so I have been keeping an eye out. He's too young for the camps this summer, but possibly next year.

I think the after school math program we're looking at will really benefit DS when he's late elementary, when the classes are taught by math professors and PhDs. The lower levels will be taught by someone like me, basically. But there may be other benefits like more structure, peers, etc. I'm not sure.

We can handle the math just fine if we connect with the right curriculum/resources. The challenge is usually when he wants to explore an area outside of the curriculum (recently geometry and negative numbers) and we aren't sure the correct way to teach the topics. My husband and I are also math people.

We went to an info session for the after school math program and DS sat and read the Beast Academy books during it, for an hour. He asked me to buy them afterward but I hate to let him pour through the books now and then have the class be completely boring for him later. Plus he still needs to work on adding/subtracting fluency and place value before he moves on to 3rd grade math. He really liked the jokes in the book. smile

It is really hard to know when to let him run ahead with a topic vs forcing him to follow a typical curriculum path. He basically taught himself times tables when we told him he had to wait on learning multiplication. So obviously he was ready for it... but yeah, I don't know! That kind of thing makes me think he'd benefit from the flexibility of doing math with us for another year. (Well, assuming we would actually have the confidence to BE more flexible.)

Last edited by _Angie_; 01/19/16 03:50 PM.