I am perfectly happy to let them make the mistakes while in the lower grades of school. I think it makes them stronger students when they lose points for their mistakes rather than have my husband or I polish their work before they turn it in. They learn what works and doesn�t.

I�m not too concerned about grades until 6th grade anyway, so in my opinion, Bs and an occasional C are motivators.

When asked by other parents why we grade advanced our daughter, I tell them, �I don�t need for her to be a big fish in a small pond, I want her to learn to swim hard to keep up with the (real) leading group�. It would defeat my purpose if I helped too much.

This past weekend, my 10 year old realized Friday night that he had not turned in the intent form to participate at the regional Science Fair. He was extremely upset because without the form he could not compete. I suggested he call his science teacher at home. We could not find her number, so I suggested he call the assistant principle and ask for it. As I handed him the phone, he asked me to do it and it was clear that he did not want to. I told him that I agreed that it would be much easier for him if I did it, but I wasn�t going to. He made the call himself and will compete this weekend.

He learned that deadlines are important and he learned that he is competent at handling his own issues.