My DD's 2nd grade teacher, when explaining MAP tests to parents, explicitly said that the scores are not meant to measure grade level equivalents. She said that the range of test questions for each grade level is different, and the scores measure "instructional levels". In other words, a 2nd grader and 1 3rd grader with a score of 230 in math are not at the same math level, they are away from the mean of 2nd graders and 3rd graders by the same distance. I have no idea how this works. I have searched online multiple times and never was able to find clear explanations on how this score is interpreted and how hard the problems get (and what contents each grade covers). But I tend to think the teacher had it right, because my DD's score in 3rd grade was already way beyond the 11th grade average, and at that time she had not learned anything beyond basic elementary school math, so it was impossible for her to be really at a level higher than 11th grade.

I always find it puzzling that such a popular test is not clearly explained to parents. I also don't know at all if the scores have really been useful to teachers to offer individualized teaching (I don't think my DD's teacher offered that anyways).

I'd be happy to hear if other parents were able to figure out anything about how to interpret scores.