We have an eight year old with ADHD- we're trying to keep him off of meds for as long as possible because of what SAHM said. I don't see getting off of them. Our son's ADHD is mild/moderate- it means good days and bad days.

I will revisit the meds question each year and not make a snap decision on a bad day or a bad week. There are a few things that would tip the balance In favor of medication, but we're not there yet.

As for potential-- sure, DS is performing below his potential. It has yet to make him unhappy-- and we're trying to work it through therapy for now. If/when therapy isn't enough and DS is struggling and not getting to where he would like to be, we'll see.

As for your question- a faster pace won't cure ADHD, but a slower pace will make the symptoms worse. We know this from first hand experience. I will involve my son in a discussion to take medication when he is older. Now, I wouldn't give meds to him unless I thought it was necessary, and if I thought it was necessary for safety and functioning, it wouldn't be his choice.