The point is one well-made, however, that the online-only, massive enrollment MOOC style offerings are least suitable (by far) for those that they are most likely to be enrolling, given how things are going in higher ed.

There have been plenty of studies about that. The bottom line is that the students who have the worst preparation are least likely to benefit from online coursework.

I also agree wholeheartedly with DeeDee and Ljoy-- and really, this has become much more pointedly so, in my estimation. Secondary education does very little to instill those skills in most students. DD has noted that her skill set there is much more highly developed (but then again-- we have encouraged-- nay, INSISTED-- upon that ) than that of many of her freshman peers.

They all struggle that first year, and some of them into the second one, too. IME, I mean.

Like cdfox, though, I also agree with Carey's assessment of the structural problems that are driving students to the lower cost (and probably lower quality, realistically) offerings in MOOC's and other online platforms that are even less finely crafted.

Using MOOC's to explore career and educational interests, though-- now that is an excellent use of those resources.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.