Originally Posted by aeh
Originally Posted by MichelleC
Addendum: it seems a common experience that while parents are simply trying to talk about the child, teachers hear "bored" as a direct accusation of incompetence.
Not surprising, as student engagement is a common standard on teacher evaluation rubrics. They've been trained to hear student boredom as an evaluative comment on their professional competence.

Now that I think about it, it might not be a bad idea to look up the teacher evaluation standards in one's community, make a note of key buzzwords and criteria for master teachers, and tailor one's language to communicate most effectively and positively with teachers in a way that avoids triggering defensiveness and fear, and validates to whatever extent the strengths to which they may aspire.

I had a meeting recently with dd2's teacher and other staff and used the verbiage "dd is not engaged in her learning right now". The teacher took it much better than if I had said she's bored or unhappy and cries about coming to school. The meeting actually ended up being very positive resulting with multiple ideas on how to engage dd in the classroom and tailor work for her and her learning style/interests. I try to avoid the word bored at all costs.

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 03/10/15 10:27 PM.