Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
Is it possible that the gaps will need to be covered for all students (regardless of acceleration) if they appear in high school classes? It wouldn't seem that those taking h.s. classes along with your DD would have covered Common Core during their math classes, either.

Also, couldn't gaps be addressed if they appear when the students take the pre-tests or practice exams for the SAT or ACT? I'm guessing everyone will be the same boat.

Yes, you are right, that's my point...gaps will likely appear evident for all current 8th graders through 10th graders who will end up taking the CC 11th grade math test, with the current 8th graders that were accelerated appearing to be the most impacted, because the HS has at least started implementing some changes to curriculum for those who are taking algebra I and geometry...though they are not fully aligned with CC yet...whereas the middle school did no changes because it's phasing out algebra and geometry all together at the end of this year and no longer offer them. But my district seems to think that every school district is as behind as it is, which I really don't think is true. As for current high school students - The first round of SBAC tests this spring is the starting baseline, so there's no panic here, it appears, if the kids don't 'do well'. And unlike the old CA annual state tests (STAR) that were given every grade 3 - 11 and by subject for algebra, geometry, etc. now there is no math test btwn 8th grade and 11th grade. The 11th grade math test covers it all. From what I can tell, current 11th graders have no change in their math trajectories (again, their SBAC test scores from Spring 2015 will be baseline and they are unlikely to be penalized by universities, for ex.). As far as current 10th graders...well, the few parents I know with kids that age say their students will take the SAT before the format converts next spring, and they also feel their kids will get a 'pass' due to the newness of the SBAC which will only be in its 2nd year when their kids take it 11th grade. But when I read comments about other districts /states where they are clearly way ahead in implementing the CC for their current 8th and 9th graders, I panic a bit.