Your DD is lucky you are on top of it - you can make a difference for her.

I can hear everything you are saying - and we have absolutely been there. Let me clarify: both of my children have different academic "preferences"; that is, one is more of a reader and the other prefers math. It is VERY hard to afterschool in their "nonpreferred" area, and very easy (effortless, almost, as more a matter of providing the right materials) to afterschool in their areas of preference. They are young, though, so they need to be "balanced" students, IMO. Also, I encourage and NEVER force...so sometimes, close to no afterschooling goes on. So if the school program is a terrible mismatch at that point, progress in the non-preferred subject can get stalled, which means it is time to talk to the teacher or school. Also, my older DC gets a great deal of homework, primarily in her G&T classes...so there is little or no time for afterschooling. Right now, they both recently grew a ton in their "preferred" subject, but are slower-growing in their less preferred subject.

I guess we have gone at it seeing ourselves as partners with the school. I simply would like to see the school take on more of the "heavy-lifting" in terms of paying attention and providing challenge sometimes, KWIM? Some teachers have been better than others, but then again, I think MY KIDDOS are a bit of a challenge since they seem to learn quickly/easily, too...and I'm not entirely unsympathetic to the teachers. Our situation is not ideal, but we are trying to make it work.

BTW, don't let the winter scores worry you TOO much. DD had an awful winter MAP mid-year check last year...dropped in one area and grew little in another. She really WAS struggling to make progress/underchallenged in the area she dropped IMO, but she grew 20+ points in the other area by spring. She continued to steadily grow since then, because I have worked with her while working with the school.

HTH! None of this is easy, as it really causes a parent to worry...hugs to you!!!