Originally Posted by Jodi C
He scored superior to very superior on most subtests on the WISC, but his processing speed was low average.

[quote=Jodi C]Standardized scores show absolutely no deficit in processing

I am a little confused here - which type of standardized test scores don't show a deficit? Grade level standards-type group tests administered through the schools? Or something else?

My reply has nothing to do with acceleration (I would consider the acceleration so your ds is placed where he needs to be intellectually) - but I would also watch the things that were mentioned by his teachers as a potential concern (not answering quickly, for instance). The combination of gaps in your ds WISC scores + the notes about your ds not liking to write things down and also not answering as quickly as teachers would expect in a class group discussion sound much like my ds who is dysgraphic and has expressive language challenges. The explanations you have for them also are very reminiscent of what I thought was going on with my ds at around the same age! These might not be issues for your ds, but if they are, they won't disappear with an acceleration - note, they aren't a reason *not* to accelerate, but accelerating might not make them go away.

Originally Posted by JodiC
Teachers are concerned about that processing speed as causing too much pressure on him. I agreed initially, but then I thought, "Ök, so his thoughts are too much to get out on paper fast enough? That doesn't makes sense to hold him back for that".

I agree, that shouldn't hold him back - but it is something you want to watch for and give him support with if it causes an issue. Actually, I'd be thinking through supporting him with it now whether or not he's accelerated.

polarbear