"Based on our family's experiences, I'm in favor of midyear changes in placement-- I think it's actually easier to orchestrate, because you can do the "meet the teacher, check it out, see it'll be fine" business in the course of a normal school day if you want to."

Thank you for your advice and I appreciate you mentioning this point. I was told which teacher he would have if he moved to 3rd grade and she is awesome! My daughter had her and I've gone to church with her in the past...she is all about the students! As far as a teacher he could have if moved, she would have been our top pick. She is also the teacher he took the IQ Test with so he's been in her classroom (for only one day though) before. He knows she loves owls (has mentioned that about every time we see an owl on anything) and he said last night that one of his after school buddies is in her class. So if we do chose to advance him to 3rd grade there is already a connection there!

"You sound a little calmer and more focused TripleB. It's never easy to make these decisions but it often goes better than you imagine, especially as you are taking a considered approach."

Thanks...hearing everyone's advice and the fact that others have gone through this with success makes it all seem a little less overwhelming. I appreciate your words of wisdom.

"If you go that path then do it as soon as possible so it doesn't get caught up with concern over the end of year exam."

We are meeting with the school and county AIG person Friday, will listen to all the options. After that our plan is to discuss the options with our son over the weekend and give them a decision on Monday so they can get started as quick as possible.

"About the math versus reading....we thought DD was verbally advanced not a math kid until grade 5. Turns out she just didn't have an opportunity to demonstrate math reasoning until then and took off."

I think you may be right. In his Math right now they are talking about simple word problems and talking about 10 more, 10 less, 100 more, and 100 less than certain numbers. She told them to leave the place blank for 100 less blank because it went into negatives...he puts an answer anyway...I think that's the most latitude he's got as far as showing what he's capable of in Math.

Again, thanks for all the responses.....they have helped more than you realize!!!

TripleB