Originally Posted by raptor_dad
Thanks!

I still don't think there is a very good unschooling book for gifted, academic families. If you want the comfort of understanding how little direct instruction is needed, I would search on the WTM Accelerated boards[1] or just post another thread asking how much time school for K-6 kids takes. If the classical folks are only spending 2-3hrs then others must be spending even less...

[1] http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/forum/7-accelerated-learner-board/

We probably spend that on school average, but some weeks we are only working at home 3 days. Some days go longer- dd became interested in math, so it took 2 hours just for math yesterday. We do Latin and math everyday. Pretty much everything else 1-2x per week with periodic subject binges. We do limit what we call squishy brain reading and screen time to encourage a little creative boredom.

You've gotten good advice so far. We had older kids who graduated from our local schools. Homeschooling dd has been less work than advocating for them, participating in parent activities, dealing with homework after school and all of the other time drain stuff that happens with school. We went into it with a one year at a time commitment, but I really can't see enrolling her in a brick and mortar school anytime soon. She's 9.

ETA I like the WTM boards, but generally do not post my dd's age even on the Accelerated Learn Board. The way new posts show up, any user might read them. Sometimes that derails the thread when someone doesn't realize they are responded to a to an question about an accelerated student.

ETA 2- The 2-3 hours is my time working with her. By the time she practices piano, does chores around the house, and has lunch it's more like 4-5 hours, 3-4 days most weeks, with one or two days on the road for extracurricular, outside classes and things like being "grandma's helper" for a family member who had surgery or helping volunteer for a literacy program with me.

We usually save assigned reading for last part of the day so she doesn't have to switch gears. She can read as long as she wants.

Probably too much info, but sometimes "a day in the life" can help make a leap less scary.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Bean; 10/14/14 04:32 AM.