They do have a policy on bullying, but I'm not sure how well it is followed.
A school's policies are the school's proactive consideration of what it agrees to do if/when a described set of circumstances occurs. The school documents these agreements to manage expectations. Some may say the goal of a written letter would be enforcement of the policy/practice/position statement. The letter would point to the policy, possibly quoting it, showing how the facts which occurred match the policy. A notification, by letter or casual mention, simply raises awareness that according to school policy, events have occurred to trigger the implementation of the steps outlined in that policy, essentially holding the school accountable.

Anti-bully advocacy is not solely for the benefit of the victim. I'm with squishys, and this quote from the other thread especially resonates with me:
Originally Posted by post from other thread
One of my favourite sayings is, "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child, as it is to the caterpillar" ~Bradley Miller
I'm also bringing over this thought from a post on the other thread, as well: Although a bug is not a mammal, the element of killing it to get a reaction brings to mind that childhood cruelty to animals may be an early warning for later trouble. This article mentions possible motivations including "a vehicle for emotional abuse" (bullying/intimidation), and a desire to "alleviate boredom or achieve a sense of control."