Originally Posted by ElizabethN
Interesting. My six-year-old son had the CELF-4 Concepts & Following Directions (scaled score 12) and Understanding Spoken Paragraphs (scaled score 6) sections, and the CASL (subtest scores from 77 (paragraph comprehension) to 126 (antonyms), with the others right around 100) and TNL (97). I don't think he has a particularly good working memory, but I don't have testing to support that opinion. Are those tests similar to the WJIII subtest, with visual supports that he could use?
Yes, for one of them. The CELF-4 C&FD does have visuals; you point to items based on spoken directions. USP and CASL PC are very similar to the WIAT-III LC, where you hear paragraphs read aloud, and then answer questions about them. Antonyms is not, nor does it have visuals, but it has very short verbal stimuli, and relies much more heavily on verbal reasoning and oral vocabulary than anything else.

Notice that your son did very well on the task with visual supports and the one with limited verbal stimuli, and poorly on the tasks with lengthy verbal stimuli.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...