My daughter was given the WASI-II at age 7 years, 9 months for admission into the school's gifted program. She scored

Verbal 136
Performance 129
Full Scale 138

In the two years since, she has thrived in the program, which is pull out one day/week. We have been noticing some attention and maturity issues, more at home and in her regular classroom than in the gifted program, and wanted to get a full evaluation.

I got very upsetting WISC-IV results last week, at age 10. She got:

Verbal Comprehension 112
Perceptual Reasoning 110
Working Memory 113
Processing Speed 85
Full Scale 109
General Ability Index 113

Verbal Subtests:

Similarities Scaled Score 14
Vocabulary Scaled 14
Comprehension Scaled 9

Perceptual Reasoning Subtests:

Block Design 13
Picture Concepts 10
Matrix Reasoning 12

Working Memory Subtests:

Digit Span 13
Letter-Number Seq 12

Processing Speed Subtests:

Symbol Search 8
Coding 7

The tester was very dismissive, saying IQ is very fluid before age 10 and not being concerned about a 29 point FSIQ drop. The pediatrician, on the other hand, said that is a huge difference and they are actually pretty stable at nearly age 8, so one test must be wrong. He asked what her dad and my IQs were, and upon hearing that they are pretty close to her original score, said the higher score must be right because heredity plays a huge role. I realize this is dismissive the other direction.

The tester also said she does not have ADHD, although she scored quite distracted on his test, she still got enough answers right to be in the average range. My instinct says that she got so many right because she's bright, and that she really does have ADHD.

My daughter says she was not stressed at all on the day of the exam, although she did have trouble falling asleep the night before (this is not super unusual, though) and the morning of the exam was very stressful for me because we could not find the office at a large university because they were not answering their phones because, as it turned out, the building had been evacuated for a natural gas leak. The building smelled strongly, and we were re-evacuated, and when we returned, the building was still airing out and had a slight smell and the windows were open, making it somewhat warmer than usual. However, she says none of this bothered her. She was unaware that she was being timed or that there were any stakes at all to right or wrong answers, for better or for worse.

What do you think is going on?

Last edited by fireball45; 08/28/14 12:42 PM.