Thank you polarbear. Your posts are always so thoughtful and I enjoy reading them.
Truth be told, DD is a very social creature too so I was initially surprised to hear her teacher say how she has some trouble making deep social connections.
My DS is a complete polar opposite of her. He is introverted and at her age was extremely so. During his preschool years, he didn't play with ANYONE. and didn't seem to be bothered by it and has really blossomed at his new school and made so many friends this year. I remember seeing many of his female classmates in Kinder forming close friendships and holding hands, etc and I was expecting this of DD.

Girls do talk to her but many choose not to play with her at recess. Perhaps they are uncomfortable with the intensity of her personality and also feel that she is different because they have observed that she has always done work ahead of everyone (and used to get in trouble for it) and now they see her going to 2nd grade reading and 1st grade after her class finishes. I hope she will also find companions at her new school. In fact she often chats to my DS classmates when she sees them. Time will tell.

Principal is great and eager to do the right thing, but not wanting to do skip due the ever popular thought, do you really want her to be younger in the middle school years? I see his point, but she is older so she won't be much younger unless many of her classmates are redshirted. My DS is actually one of the youngest and while he is a bit immature, he is doing well academically and now socially. Thanks for the well wishes. smile