My very social, easy going, happy DS6 just confessed to me on a car ride home from an event this week that he is very lonely in Kindergarten. We are on Spring Break so I'm wondering if he's been processing this all week. It sort of broke my heart.

He's very engaged in his class and has classroom "friends", but I think he is starting to feel separate and different. He had one almost peer. Another boy who almost reads where he is at (5-6th grade), but he told me they "broke up" because all this boy talks about is video games and fighting ninjas. He has no interest in that kind of play and would rather talk about science, play music or put on a play.

He's in 1/2 day Spanish immersion which we thought would be more challenging for him, but that's a whole other long story. Due to private testing we are switching schools and back to English for 1st grade before he can enter the separate gifted classroom in 2nd grade. We are meeting with the school next week to discuss clustering and differentiation for the next year. We are also hoping the move will open him up to more friendship opportunities with like minded kids who love to learn as much as he does! This is a very new adventure for all of us!

We are also trying to do more events with the local gifted community hoping he will find more kids to engage with, and he has loved these events! But it's not the same as every day at school with friends.

If anyone has an idea of how to discuss this with him so he feels better I would appreciate it. He's an only child and as much as he loves his big puppy it's not quite the same as a sibling or best friend. Thanks for any feedback!