Originally Posted by incogneato
So let me get this straight. Are you thinking that the LEGO simple machines kit and science and tech kit are preferable to Mindstorms?
Thanks for the input, we are new to this and I am looking into it for DD6 and DD8.
I'm trying to figure out what would be our best bet for first purchase.

Any Lego "kit" will give your child the same challenge: here's a bunch of building material, what can you do with it? Mindstorms presents the same challenge it just adds programmability and sensory input. At a certain stage in development programming is an excellent activity, but the physics aspect of learning is the same with Mindstorms as it is with standard Legos. What I have seen with Mindstorms is that when used by children who can use it independently it is an excellent product. However, in many cases there is so much parental "assistance" and input needed that the child becomes simply an observer.

I think a more accessible way to offer a child an exposure to the type of abstract thinking involved with programming would be to teach your child how to play chess. Four and five year olds will take to chess quite quickly, (especially gifted children).

Patrick

"Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve." -Roger Lewin